Overbilling, kickbacks and other construction-related fraud can contribute to cost overruns or project failure. Knowledge of fraud exposures aids detection and prevention. Attendees will improve their understanding of construction fraud exposures through case examples using interactive discussions and exercises to apply practical detection methods. Learn proven “how to” techniques as well as perils and pitfalls and how to avoid them.
Failure to recognize early indicators of fraud allows small problems to grow. Past attendees have said our fraud courses helped them become more vigilant resulting in reduction of costs, and more timely detection of fraud and error. 8 CPE Credits
Space is Limited – REGISTER
Seminar Registration Fee = $495 (Payable by credit card when registering)
Objectives | Outline | Fee | CPE | Instructor | Materials/Exercises | Schedule | Reviews | Brochure
Who Can Benefit From This Learning Experience
Does your organization:
- prevent avoidable fraud?
- detect fraud?
- respond well?This course is for anyone who wants to reduce construction fraud and help their organization address fraud-related challenges.
Project managers, auditors, executives, attorneys, investigators and others have found this training to be eye-opening!
Upon completion attendees will know more about:
1. The extent and nature of construction fraud.
2. How construction fraud impacts owners, their project cost, project quality and schedule.
3. How to avoid common mistakes and errors in responding to fraud.
4. Frauds committed by contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, and owner employees.
5. How executives can make the environment hostile to fraud.
6. How to use data analysis to identify exposures and detect fraud.
7. Steps for fraud prevention.
8. How to detect fraud in routine management and audit practices.
9. What to do and not do when fraud is suspected.
10. Fraud exposures and symptoms of occurrence.
11. Practical approaches to dealing with behavioral red flags.
12. How to encourage accountability in managers and contractors.
13. What effective investigations include.
Challenges Presented by Construction Fraud
- Construction fraud implications
- The extent and nature of fraud in construction
- Impact of fraud on overcharge, nonperformance and schedule
- Games played by contractors
- The role of perception
- How to mobilize management to impact your culture
- A model for controlling contracts
- A model for addressing fraud challenges
Fraud Detection – What Works & What Doesn’t
- Why fraud goes undetected
- Making it safe to surface problems
- Five Steps for Detection
- Construction fraud exposures and symptoms of occurrence
- Behavioral indicators of construction fraud
- Brainstorming fraud for your own projects
- Building detection into routine management and audit processes
- Practical approaches to behavioral red flags
- How to use data analysis to detect construction fraud
- Getting the most out of construction contract auditing
- Fraud in bidding and awarding work
- Corruption, pay to play, bribes and kickbacks
- A Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Case
- Four steps for construction fraud prevention
- Effective response to suspected wrongdoing
Program Materials and Exercises
Prior to the event, participants will be provided a link to download and print course materials. These will include exercises to be completed during the session as well as additional materials that go beyond slides shown.
Individual and group exercises are an integral part of the course. In order to participate in the seminar using our Zoom meeting platform, you will need to use both your PC camera and microphone for optimal learning experience.
Attendees who are on-line and participating throughout both days of the session will be eligible to receive up to 8 CPE credits.
REGULAR SEMINAR REGISTRATION FEE = $495 (Payable by credit card when registering)
Tuesday, June 29, 2021: 9:00 am – 1:00 pm Central Time
Wednesday, June 30, 2021: 9:00 am – 1:00 pm Central Time
Please log in early. Each hour will include a 10 minute break.
Cancellation and Refund
If you register for a virtual training and are unable to attend, please notify us by email and we will apply your credit toward any future training. For information regarding refund, concerns and/or program cancellation policies please contact Marie Jones at 254-736-0309 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All participants are eligible to receive up to 8 Continuing Education Credits (CPE’s) to fulfill professional accreditation requirements. To receive CPE credit, participants must answer polling questions posted during the training.
Field of Study: Auditing. Course Level: Basic. Group-Internet, lecture-style seminar; no prerequisites or advanced preparation required. For information regarding CPE, complaint, or program cancellation, please contact Marie Jones at (254) 736-0309 or Rich Townsend at (972) 679-6762 or email email@example.com.
Construction Audit & Cost Control Institute (CAACCI) is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA), as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org
Courtenay M. Thompson is a recognized authority on fraud-related training for internal auditors, management and investigators. Since entering the educational consulting field in 1981, he has written and presented courses for corporations, government and professional associations worldwide.
He is the co-developer of courses on audit and control of construction costs, and has developed and presented courses on purchasing fraud and contract auditing. His courses are known for providing practical approaches to real problems.
Mr. Thompson’s experience prior to consulting includes public accounting, audit supervisor for consumer financial services for a large retailer, and director of auditing for a life insurance company. Mr. Thompson received his BBA and MBA degrees from Southern Methodist University and is a Certified Public Accountant. He is a member of various accounting and auditing professional associations.
R. L. Townsend & Associates, LLC and Courtenay Thompson & Associates have jointly developed our professional development training seminars related to construction cost control and audit.
Our Recent Fraud Seminar Attendees Have Said…
“No matter how seasoned a professional you are, this course provides new and current information, ideas and best practices.”
“I really liked that the seminar was over two days. This was less of a disruption from my normal work. Thanks for adapting these seminars for virtual presentations.”
“I benefitted tremendously from the other participants’ knowledge and experience from Afghanistan to Alberta. The breakout rooms and exercises made me think and engage with others and the packet included some slides that I can print and look on future construction audits.”
“Fraud course was geared to what I do and experienced.”
“Great discussions, cases and real world examples.”
“Thank you for helping us change our culture.”
“This course was eye-opening and I have managed construction projects for over 20 years.”
Register Using the Form Below
Regular Seminar Registration Fee = $495.00 (Payable with credit card upon registering)
To Register by Telephone: Call Marie Jones at (254) 736-0309
NOTE: Your registration confirmation will be emailed to you a few minutes after you register.
If you do not see it in your Inbox, check your “Other” folders and be sure to add us to your email service list of “Safe Senders” to receive future emails containing seminar details.
International payments must be made by credit card in advance of the seminar.
Click here for a copy of a W-9 for Construction Audit & Cost Control Institute, Inc.
If you need to pay by check versus credit card, please select the option to “pay later” when you register and we will send you an invoice.
Need Assistance? Contact Marie Jones through the chat box (bottom right of screen) or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org