Anyone committed to making a difference in the construction fraud arena - project managers, internal auditors, investigators, risk managers, finance professionals, security professionals, managers, consultants, attorneys - whether employed by companies, government or not-for-profits, or in public practice. This course is designed primarily for owners' representatives, but contractors can benefit as well.
Upon completion attendees will know:
- How and where fraud occurs in construction activity.
- The most common construction-related frauds.
- Factors that contribute to construction fraud.
- What makes fraud in construction different and difficult to handle.
- How to create an environment hostile to fraud.
- Best practices for gifts and entertainment.
- Practical prevention practices.
- How contract language can deter or encourage fraud.
- How to build detection into routine audit and management practices.
- Suggestions for detecting bid rigging and price fixing.
- How to prove suspected wrongdoing.
- Specific investigative tips and techniques.
- Use of checklists and charts.
- Practical considerations for dealing with law enforcement
Introduction to Fraud
- Unique challenges of fraud related to construction
- Dangers in responding to fraud
- Dealing with emotional responses to fraud
- How opportunity, pressure and attitude impact honesty
- Construction Fraud Self-Assessment
- Defining your goals and a model for addressing fraud challenges
- Responding to the current fraud environment
- Defining and communicating expectations about detection
- Defining and communicating investigative responsibilities
- The role of fraud policy and what it should include
- Steps for fraud prevention
Introduction to Detection
- Steps for encouraging fraud detection
- Why managers and auditors don’t detect construction fraud
- Building fraud detection into your audit and management practice
- Exposures and symptoms of fraud occurrence
- Understanding behavioral red flags of construction fraud
- Using data mining to detect construction fraud
- Fraud implications of spreadsheets
Fraud in Selected Areas
- A model for controlling contracts
- Gifts and entertainment in construction fraud
- Organized crime in construction
- Bid rigging
- Disadvantaged Business Enterprise programs and other set asides
Construction Fraud Investigation
- Understanding the investigative process
- Elements of a complete investigation
- Barriers to responding to suspected construction fraud
- Investigative perils and pitfalls and how to avoid them
- Investigation tips and techniques
- Suggestions for proving suspicions and allegations
- Fraud investigation checklist and supplement for contractors and vendors
- Using a personnel spreadsheet
- Proving kickbacks
- Internal Control Review Report Matrix
Tuesday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
REGULAR SEMINAR REGISTRATION - $1,195.00 ($75 per CPE Hour)
Registration FEE is payable to:
Construction Audit & Cost Control Institute, Inc.,
3941 Legacy Drive, Suite 204 #218A, Plano, TX 75023.
Registration FEE is payable by check, MasterCard, Visa or American Express.
Program fee includes instruction, all program materials, lunch each day and refreshment breaks.
To Register ON-LINE: Click here to register on-line
To Register by Phone: Call Lynn Runyon at Courtenay Thompson & Associates office 214-361-8346.
To Register by FAX of Mail: Click here to download a printable registration form.
Cancellation and Refund:
Enrollment is limited to assure maximum opportunity for participation and exchange of ideas. Substitutes will be accepted until the program starts. Cancellations will be accepted up to 14 calendar days prior to program start without incurring a $95 late cancellation fee. Full fee is charged for failure to attend when enrollment has not been canceled as specified. Contact Lynn Runyon at Courtenay Thompson & Associates, 214-361-8346 or email@example.com.
All participants are eligible to receive up to 16 Continuing Professional Education credits (CPE’s) to fulfill professional accreditation requirements. Field of Study: Specialized Knowledge & Applications. Course Level: Basic. Group-live, lecture-style seminar; no prerequisites or advanced preparation required. For information regarding CPE, complaint, or program cancellation, please contact Courtenay Thompson & Associates at 214-361-8346.
Courtenay Thompson & Associates is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA), as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.learningmarket.org
About Courtenay Thompson
Courtenay Thompson is a recognized authority on fraud-related training for internal auditors, management and investigators. Since entering the educational consulting field in 1981, he has written and presented courses for corporations, government and professional associations worldwide.
He is the co-developer of courses on audit and control of construction costs, and has developed and presented courses on purchasing fraud and contract auditing. His courses are known for providing practical approaches to real problems.
Mr. Thompson's experience prior to consulting includes public accounting, audit supervisor for consumer financial services for a large retailer, and director of auditing for a life insurance company.
Mr. Thompson received his BBA and MBA degrees from Southern Methodist University and is a Certified Public Accountant. He is a member of various accounting and auditing professional associations.
A dedicated booking website has been created for our event so our attendees will be able to make, modify and cancel their hotel reservations online, as well as take advantage of any room upgrades, amenities or other services offered by the hotel:
Please click on the following link to make your on-line reservations:
Bellagio, Las Vegas -->
The seminar classes will be held at the:
Bellagio, 3600 Las Vegas Blvd. South, Las Vegas, NV 89109
Click Here for Directions
R. L. Townsend & Associates, Inc. and Courtenay Thompson & Associates have jointly developed our professional development training seminars related to construction cost control and audit.