Construction Fraud: Detection, Prevention & Response
June 28-29, 2016
In this two-day course attendees will explore types of fraud common to construction, techniques for reducing construction fraud and how to respond when fraud surfaces. The content is practical and hands-on, loaded with strategies and tactics, tips and techniques.
Course Outline | Program Fee | Register | CPE | Accommodations | Venue | Instructor | Brochure | Contact Us | Reviews
$25 Registration Discount Until May 28, 2016 - Register
This course if for anyone committed to understanding and addressing construction fraud. Previous attendees have included construction auditors, investigators, construction project managers, construction accountants, fraud examiners, engineers, architects, law enforcement and private investigators.
Upon completion attendees will know:
- Fraud by phase of construction
- Why construction fraud goes undetected
- How to assess the risk of construction fraud on your own projects
- Difficulties related to construction fraud and how to address them
- The role gifts and entertainment play in encouraging corruption
- Practical prevention practices
- How contract provisions can discourage or encourage fraud
- Case examples of construction fraud
- Specific symptoms of construction fraud occurrence
- How to build detection into routine management and audit practices
- Suggestions for detecting bid rigging and price fixing
- The elements of effective investigative response
- Specific investigative tips and techniques
Introduction to Construction Fraud
- The impact of fraud on your project cost and completion
- Difficulties in addressing construction fraud
- Dealing with management
- A model for controlling contracts
Construction fraud self-assessment
Defining and communicating expectations about detection and investigative responsibilities
The role of fraud policy and what it should include
Steps for preventing construction fraud
Introduction to Detection
- Steps for encouraging fraud detection
- Why fraud goes undetected
- Building fraud detection into routine management and audit practices
- Exposures and symptoms of fraud occurrence
- Behavioral indicators of construction fraud
- Using data mining for detection
- Fraud implications of spreadsheets
Addressing Specific Construction Fraud Challenges
- Gifts and entertainment
- Bid rigging and price fixing
- Corruption in public and commercial projects
- Organized crime in construction
- Disadvantaged Business Enterprise programs
Investigating Construction Related Fraud
- Dealing with management during investigations
- Elements of a complete investigation
- Investigative pitfalls and how to avoid them
- A model for proving allegations
- How to prove kickbacks
- The practical use of an investigation checklist
- Suggestions for successful investigations
Tuesday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
$25 Registration Discount until May 28 = $1,170
REGULAR SEMINAR REGISTRATION - $1,195.00
Registration FEE is payable to:
Construction Audit & Cost Control Institute, Inc.,
3941 Legacy Drive, Suite 204 #218A, Plano, TX 75023.
Registration FEE is payable by check, MasterCard, Visa or American Express.
Program fee includes instruction, all program materials, breakfast and lunch each day and refreshment breaks.
To Register ON-LINE: Click here to register on-line
To Register by Phone: Call Lynn Runyon at Courtenay Thompson & Associates office 214-361-8346.
To Register by FAX or Mail: Download Dallas June 2016 Construction Fraud.pdf
Register a Group: Contact Marie Jones through the chat box (bottom right of screen) or E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Cancellation and Refund
Enrollment is limited to assure maximum opportunity for participation and exchange of ideas. Substitutes will be accepted until the program starts. Cancellations will be accepted up to 14 calendar days prior to program start without incurring a $95 late cancellation fee. Full fee is charged for failure to attend when enrollment has not been canceled as specified. Contact Lynn Runyon at Courtenay Thompson & Associates, 214-361-8346 or email@example.com
All participants are eligible to receive up to 16 Continuing Education Credits (CPE’s) to fulfill professional accreditation requirements. Field of Study: Auditing. Course Level: Basic. Group-live, lecture-style seminar; no prerequisites or advanced preparation required. For information regarding CPE, complaint, or program cancellation, please contact our office at 214-361-8346.
Courtenay Thompson & Associates is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA), as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.learningmarket.org
Mr. Courtenay M. Thompson provides fraud-related training for auditors, investigators and management worldwide. His courses are known for their practical approaches to real problems.
He is the co-developer of courses on control and audit of construction costs and has developed and presented courses on contract auditing and procurement and contract fraud.
His experience prior to entering consulting included public accounting and internal audit. He has worked with executives to establish fraud policies and was responsible for investigations. He has worked with board members, management, attorneys and law enforcement on fraud-related matters.
Mr. Thompson received his BBA and MBA from Southern Methodist University and is a Certified Public Accountant. He is a member of the IIA, the AICPA and the Texas Society of CPAs.
Marriott at Legacy Town Center The Shops at Legacy
Dallas/Plano Marriott at Legacy Town Center
We have blocked a limited number of rooms at the Dallas/Plano Marriott at Legacy Town Center that will be available at the group rate of $199.00 plus tax per night.
Surrounded by scenic parks and water features, the Dallas/Plano Marriott at Legacy Town Center is a luxurious Plano hotel conveniently located within walking distance to upscale shopping, fine dining and entertainment. www.shopsatlegacy.com
- Our group rate is only guaranteed for a limited number of rooms until June 6, 2016.
- Our group rate will be available for a limited number of rooms for the nights of 6-27 and 6-28.
- If you have any problems making reservations for the nights you would like to stay at the hotel, please let us know and we will check with the hotel to see if they can accommodate your stay.
Call 1-800-228-9290 and use group code: Construction Audit & Cost Control Institute
Online Reservation Link:
Book your group rate for Construction Audit & Cost Control Institute
The seminar classes will be held at the Dallas/Plano Marriott at Legacy Town Center
7121 Bishop Rd, Plano TX 75024
Click Here for Directions
R. L. Townsend & Associates, Inc. and Courtenay Thompson & Associates have jointly developed our professional development training seminars related to construction cost control and audit.
Reviews from Seminar Participants
"Very practical and addresses real work/business fraud and corruption cases. The presenter's experience in the field was the most invaluable tool in making this course the most valuable for my organization and me as a person."
"Great discussions, cases and real world examples."
"I really enjoyed this course. Great amount of time allotted. Great topics, organization, and structure."
"Gave me a lot to think about."
"Great ideas - makes me think of things we are not doing."
"Relevant information that our group can utilize in our audit shop."